The New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, New Jersey, needed to add a new parking garage to its campus. In addition to providing necessary parking and blending into its surrounding environment, the project also needed to be completed on a strict timeline to ensure fast occupancy for students and staff.
New Jersey Institute of Technology Parking Garage Blends Seamlessly with Campus & Surrounding City
The general contractor, Claremont Construction Group, awarded a total contract of $7.5M to the team that would design, fabricate, and erect the structure to fit in with its surroundings while meeting strict timeline demands. First, it needed to be a completely original and aesthetically pleasing structure. Second, it needed to fit in with both the surrounding campus and the city of Newark’s architectural style and color. Lastly, it needed to physically fit on a tight, urban site. The project also needed to be completed on a strict timeline to ensure fast occupancy for students and staff.
See how the project team achieved and exceeded NJIT’s expectations from design details to on-track and on-budget timelines in a free case study from the PCI Mid-Atlantic Chapter.
- The project's key details, including the scope, timeline, and team members
- The strategy and solutions used to match the university's look and feel
- The results and versatility of precast that allows for unique architectural features
Download the case study to see how precast builds and find more resources in the PCI Mid-Atlantic Solutions Center.
“Precast was an ideal solution for the project because it helped decrease the budget and schedule for overall construction. We utilized a thin brick façade within the precast system to maintain the desired architectural look and fit seamlessly with the surrounding structures.”
-- Jordan Rappin, Production Engineer, Timothy Haahs & Associates
- Owner: Andrew Christ, P.E., Vice President for Real Estate Development and Capital Operations
- Contractor: Mike Fader, Project Manager, Claremont Construction Group
- Architect: Jordan Rappin, Production Engineer, Timothy Haahs & Associates
- Precast Specialty Engineer: Todd Warner, P.E. Precast Designer, Warner Precast Detailing & Consulting
- Precast Producer: Gary Knepper, Director of Sales & Marketing, Nitterhouse Concrete Products, Inc.
- Erector: Bo Kusznir, President, Precast Services, Inc.
ACHIEVE MORE WITH PRECAST
Only a team of truly committed precast industry professionals can complete a project like planning, designing, fabricating, and erecting a seven-story parking garage for the New Jersey Institute of technology during a markedly harsh winter on a strict timeline. As a result of this team’s meticulous and skilled cooperation, students and staff can enjoy increased parking capacity, both inside the structure and on the adjacent parking lot. Keep precast concrete and the Mid-Atlantic region’s precast businesses in mind for your next project.
Find helpful design tools, project resources, and detailed information on working with precast in our comprehensive Solutions Center.